For almost 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s more than 70 full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions. Our work helps about 40,000 people annually.
In 2008, LAF established the Juvenile Expungement Help Desk (“JEHD”) at the Cook County Juvenile Center. At the JEHD, LAF helps individuals access their juvenile court records, evaluate their eligibility to expunge these records, and complete the juvenile expungement petitions and other paperwork. In a limited number of cases, LAF also represents them at expungement hearings. LAF seeks two law student interns to staff the JEHD and help incoming clients with the paperwork. Additionally, a law student intern with a 711 license to practice law in Illinois may also represent the clients at their follow-up juvenile expungement court hearings.
Responsibilities of each JEHD intern may include:
- Staffing the JEHD and doing the related work outlined in this announcement for 25-35 hours per week.
- Researching JEHD clients’ eligibility to expunge their juvenile records;
- Preparing juvenile expungement petitions and related paperwork for eligible JEHD clients;
- Representing the clients in juvenile expungement court hearings, if the student has a license to practice under Illinois Supreme Court Rule 711; and
- Assisting with LAF’s other juvenile expungement projects, which involve visiting high schools or community clinics to help eligible students and other persons prepare and file juvenile expungement paperwork.
- Be a current law student at an accredited law school.
- Be available to travel to the JEHD, located at the Juvenile Court, 1100 S. Hamilton St. in Chicago, and to LAF, located downtown, 120 S. LaSalle St. in Chicago.
- Eligibility for a 711 license is preferred.
- Experience in public interest law and/or juvenile or adult criminal records relief is preferred.
- Clinic, experiential learning, internship, or externship experience preferred.