- Highland Park-Highwood Legal Aid Clinic
Employer: Highland Park – Highwood Legal Aid Clinic, Highland Park, IL
Practice Areas: DV specialization, Background in Family Law
Supervised by: Managing Attorney
Location: Highland Park (Lake County), Illinois
The Position: The Attorney provides legal services to clients who live or work in the communities of Highland Park and Highwood, Illinois, and who are victims of Domestic Violence. Because the Clinic also provides immigration law services, the Attorney will work closely with our Director of Immigration Law on U-Visas and VAWA Self-Petitions.
· Lead all phases of law practice, including intake and initial client interviews, drafting pleadings, engaging in discovery, taking depositions, drafting and briefing motions, appearing before the Family Court and Domestic Violence Court for Orders of Protection, Plenary Orders, motion hearings, trials and, if necessary, appeals.
· Work with an immigration attorney if there is an immigration aspect of the case.
· Supervise, train, and support the professional growth of staff attorneys, volunteer attorneys, and legal interns.
· Build, manage and maintain relationships with outside counsel and other legal advocacy community organizations.
· Collaborate with team to identify, develop, revise and implement client intake systems, case management, litigation protocols and related systems.
· Develop and maintain relationships with external audiences and key stakeholders, including local partners who provide services like counseling and shelter to our clients.
· Community outreach, education, and advocacy.
Job Type: Full-time
J.D. with 5 years of experience.
Fluency in Spanish a plus.